slides: DESIGN LINE: Artisan Spotlight: Wright Deter
Tuesday, October 08, 2013
I wish I had the space to explain the complexity of casting bronze, but suffice it to say that this original design, one of Deter’s most impressive pieces, showcases both his design and technical talent. The small side table has become a staple of my interior design work and this piece would fill that role perfectly.
18” dia. x 25” h.
This table showcases Deter’s exceptional abilities with wood as well. A mix of mahogany and purple heart, one has to look closely to recognize the extraordinary level of detail that went in to making each “leg” of the base look the same. I see this table next to a floating sofa, where it can be useful and seen from all angles.
21” x 21” x 36”h
Just when you thought Wright Deter’s talents were exhausted, I’ll leave you with the fine artist in him. While these days, he focuses a lot more on the sculptural art form, I feel seeing the artist’s works on paper helps to understand the basis for his other, three-dimensional work.
Pastel and charcoal on paper.
Photo: Aaron Usher
Wright Deter lives with his family and a whole bunch of animals on an 1830’s homestead in Cranston, RI. When he’s not making fine art or functional objects he runs a custom metal fabrication business. Deter has had an opportunity to work with RIPTA on numerous “design/build” bus shelters including a current commission which will soon be installed at T.F. Green Airport. He plans to begin a commissioned sculpture for the Town of Barrington’s Police Cove project this winter. Deter holds a BFA from Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) in Richmond, Va. See more of his work at www.wrightdeter.com.
Photo: Drake Patten
Kelly Taylor has 15 plus years of experience in the field of interior design. She is the 2012 recipient of New England Home magazine’s “5 Under 40” award for excellence in design as well as Rhode Island Monthly magazine’s 2012 and 2013 Gold Awards for residential interior design. She practices residential and commercial interior design in Providence, Rhode Island. Find her on twitter at @ktidnet, visit her website at www.ktid.net or check her out on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/KellyTaylorInteriorDesign.
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Great Table Lamps
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Kitchen Upgrades On A Budget
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Things You Need To Know About Lighting Your Home
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Tips for Choosing Carpets and Rugs
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Ways To Freshen Up Your House On a Budget
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Ways To Upgrade Your Outdoor Space
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Ways to Modernize Traditional Decor
- DESIGN LINE: 10 Window Shade Treatments
- DESIGN LINE: 7 Steps To a Great Home Renovation
- DESIGN LINE: 7 Steps To a Renovated Basement
- DESIGN LINE: Best Paint Colors For Interiors
- DESIGN LINE: Cabinet Renovation 101
- DESIGN LINE: Fall Fabric Trends
- DESIGN LINE: Fall Trends: From the Runway to Your Living Room
- DESIGN LINE: Framing Dos + Don’ts For Every Room
- DESIGN LINE: Great Local Finds For Your Holiday Table
- DESIGN LINE: How To Choose Drapery
- DESIGN LINE: How To Hire (and Work With) An Interior Designer
- DESIGN LINE: Interior Design Q&A
- DESIGN LINE: Picking Your Perfect Kitchen Counter
- DESIGN LINE: Remake A Bathroom in 10 Steps
- DESIGN LINE: Rhode Island Art Under $500
- DESIGN LINE: Selecting Stone Counters
- DESIGN LINE: Top 10 Interior Design Mistakes
- DESIGN LINE: Worth The Investment–Tracy Glover Studios Lighting