Young Democrats of RI Urge Gubernatorial Candidates to Finalize People’s Pledge
Friday, March 07, 2014
The People's Pledge is an agreement to curb the influence of outside money--such as that from Super PACs--from elections.
President Kristina Fox's statement
"The Young Democrats of Rhode Island are proud to see all three Democratic candidates for Governor working together towards the goal of signing a People's Pledge. We can all agree that Rhode Island elections should be determined by Rhode Islander voters, not by outside interests that write big checks. The three gubernatorial candidates and Common Cause RI Director John Marion are to be commended for negotiating this pledge.
On behalf of our Board of Directors and Young Democrats all across the state, I strongly urge Mayor Angel Taveras, Treasurer Gina Raimondo, and Clay Pell to come to a substantive agreement to eliminate the impact of spending by outside groups and super PACs on this election as soon as possible. Adoption of this People’s Pledge will show that Democrats in Rhode Island are forward-thinking, progressive and pro-active when it comes to the issue of ethical and transparent campaign financing."
About the YDRI
The Young Democrats of Rhode Island is a newly reconstituted organization for people age 13-35 who wish to mobilize on behalf of the Democratic party and to advocate for issues facing young people in Rhode Island and America.
Related Slideshow: PAC Spending in the 2014 Rhode Island Governor’s Race
With Election Day now just months away, GoLocal took a look at PAC spending in the Rhode Island gubernatorial campaigns.
Who is giving to who -- and how much? And what's worth more, the money or the grassroots support?
Below is look at recorded PAC giving by the candidates in their campaign finance reports for the 2013 calendar year, by quarter. Candidate Todd Giroux has an affadavit for an annual filing exemption.
Gina Raimondo - Q1 2013
PAC money received: $7,000
Gina Raimondo - Q2 2013
PAC money received: $4,400
Gina Raimondo - Q4 2013
PAC money received: $6,950
Angel Taveras - Q1 2013
PAC money received: $3,600
Angel Taveras - Q2 2013
PAC money received: $6,550
Angel Taveras - Q4 2013
PAC money received: $6,100
Allan Fung -- Q1 2013
PAC money received: $1,550*
- Who the PACs are Supporting in the 2014 RI Governor’s Race
- Cicilline Finally Signs MoveOn.org Pledge
- Opponents Pledge to Fight High-Stakes Testing
- Cicilline Won’t Take Pledge on Campaign Finance Reform
- Connected Lawyer Pledged Tax Credits Before They Were Approved
- RI Congressional Delegation Pledge to Fight for Pell Grant Funding
- RI State Report: Green Energy Pledges, Special Elections + Tolls
- Dems Criticize Hinckley for Signing No-Tax Pledge
- NEW: Taveras First to Sign Pledge to End 3rd Party Spending
- NEW: Doherty Against Pledges to Stop Tolls on Sakonnet River Bridge
- Gemma Violates Pledge, Takes Lobbyist Money
- NEW: Doherty Pledges to Reject Efforts to Cut Benefits for Seniors
- King Charges: Raimondo Violates Campaign Pledge
- NEW: RI Business Leaders Pledge Support for Same-Sex Marriage
- NEW: Providence Equity’s Nelson Signs Giving Pledge
- NEW: Raimondo Says Taveras Broke Pledge on Employee, Vendor Giving
- PODCAST: Who the PACs are Supporting in the RI Governor’s Race
- Candidates, Incumbents to Sign Pledge to Appoint More Women to Public Sector Positions
- New: Pell Pledges Millions to Cities, Can’t Name Funding Source