Black Magic: New Ways To Wear Black
Saturday, October 05, 2013
The latest black incorporates tone-on-tone leather for interest and contrast. We're not talking suede elbow patches but supple black leather epaulettes, collars, hems, and graphic lines. This season, black leather trims everything from delicate cashmere sweaters to everyday coats. You'll look sharp and current without losing an ounce of femininity.
This centuries-old textile is having a renaissance moment and boasts a pretty floral pattern. It can be found in crisp brocade skinny pants and sheath dresses. Look for a black brocade peplum top which will be hypnotic with your favorite pencil skirts. Black brocade casts an intriguing spell with its run-your-hand-across-it texture.
Get the fit
Dressmaking touches in shirts and dresses are creating thinning optical illusions. Darts and on-the-side seaming allude to waists again and designers are rediscovering these old-world sculpting techniques. Black garments need to fit close to the body and one way to take out that fear factor is with fully-fashioned items.
Crystals and gems lure the eyes away from figure flaws and look great with black. A large decorative necklace of stones interspersed with diamante on the neckline of a black as midnight dress will lend sophistication and charm to your fall evening look. Ditto a simple black merino wool sweater and pants for work. Have fun with stunning, affordable bling, and you’ll never be mistaken as part of a coven.
The beauty of black is that it is mysteriously sexy without a big reveal. Longer black skirts for warmth look vixen with a suggestive slit or vent. Fill in with legs of vibrant colored tights like turquoise. It will give your all black outfit a temptress look that isn’t underground cult.
This fall, bow to the magic of black—you know you love it already. Fashion is all about self-expression and although everyone is wearing it, the right approach to black will have you creating your very own magnetic love potion. With clothes.
- 5 Biggest Fall Beauty Trends
- DESIGN LINE: Fall Trends: From the Runway to Your Living Room
- ALPHA MALE: Top 5 Trends for Fall
- DESIGN LINE: Fall Fabric Trends
- Hot Trends for Back To School Fashion
- ALPHA MALE: 6 Fashion Rules for Every Man
- Brooks Brothers Partners With Gemma Foundation for Fashion Show
- Domestic Violence Awareness: Fashion Goes Purple
- Don’t Miss: Angela Moore Fashion Show July 12
- Fashion Legend André Leon Talley Coming to Providence April 26
- Fashion Show for Blackstone Valley Children’s Shelter
- Fashion Steals + Deals for August
- Fashions From Angela Moore Tennis Hall of Fame Benefit in Newport
- Local Dog Fashion Goes Nautical for America’s Cup
- NEW: RISD Named 3rd Most Fashionable College in the US
- NEW: RISD Student Puts Providence Fashion in GQ’s Street Style
- NEW: RISD Students Go to NYC for Fashion Challenge with Candy
- New England Vintage Chic: Taking Fashion Risks With Confidence
- November Fashion Steals + Deals
- October Fashion Steals + Deals
- StyleWeek Supports Heart Association with Creative Fashion Show
- TRENDER: Fashion Designer Kate Brierley
- The LOOK: NY Fashion Week Behind The Scenes Trends
- The LOOK: Trends from NY Fashion Week
- Winter Fashion Finds at a Steal